HNW - fulled caps

Deborah Pulliam pulliam at acadia.net
Tue Sep 22 07:49:13 PDT 1998

<<Definitely no thicker than sock wool, for the average cap.
More and more I wonder whether that surviving Monmouth Cap was somebody's
practice piece while they were learning.>>

But you're talking about two different styles of caps, probably worn in
very different circumstances: the flat caps were knit from fairly fine (by
*today's* standards) yarn, probably about like fingering yarn. They were
used as daily caps, worn for everything from work to church. The Monmouth
cap may well have been a military-style cap, used for protection under a
helmet.  It also may have been a country-made, country-worn garment, where
the flat caps in all their variations were definitely worn in the cities.

Once again, it may be that the flat caps were kept because they were more
fashionable, relatively speaking, and the thicker ones were more like
peasant wear, and tossed out (same reason so many museums collected plenty
of high style, and no lower class clothing.)

I have seen a few flat caps that were a bit thicker (not to compare with
the Monmouth cap, though), but the complexity of the shaping would keep it
from being too thick, I think.

Deborah