HNW - recording color

Susan Evans woofie at gte.net
Wed Sep 23 15:38:27 PDT 1998

>If reproducing color accurately is important to you, get a PMS color book
>(from  a large office supply store, printer, or printer's supply company.)

  This is a great idea.  I do want accurate color - that's why I was
interested in the finding out about the 800 speed film.
  The Met. Museum (from my last visit) didn't seem to have much needlework
on display.  They don't let you use a tripod or get very close and of
course, no flash.  They seem to be clueless when they do have a special
exhibit that shows needlework - first, they don't let you take photos of
any of the "special" exhibits - they may or may not have an exhibit book to
sell.  Unfortunately, the books rarely show good detail and you just _know_
they won't have a good photo of the piece YOU wanted.  I want to see the
stitches!!!!
  There are a few pieces on permanent display at the Gardner Museum in
Boston, however.  There's a fine needlepoint couch from the 16th century
that is dimly lit.  I have two photos from several years ago.  My goal now
is to get better quality color photos as a starting point, then import them
into the computer for some refining. I've got a special
photo/slide/negative scanner.  Once scanned, the program lets you correct
color.  My bright idea was to try and "correct" the centuries of dirt and
fading away and get an idea of what the piece originally looked like.
  Is anyone else familiar with that couch?  It's got scenes from Ovid's
Metamorphoses.  There are several panels, each separated by strips of gros
point done in various scrolling vine & fruit themes.  The lighting is so
dim I had the lens wide open so the depth of field was minimal - and of
course, a couch is curved, plus the panels are wrinkled a little.

Sue Evans