HNW - Embroidery for Clergy Stole

Linn Skinner skinner02 at sprynet.com
Thu Sep 24 09:29:09 PDT 1998

Joan:

>I'm looking for ideas as to what type of embroidery - or any other
>needlework - would be apropos.  Thank you.

Clerical stoles can be made in any sort of technique, but first a few
questions:  Is Pere Denis Roman Catholic, Anglican, Eastern Rite?  Would he
prefer a stole in colors appropriate to a particular liturgical season and
what are his local rules as to liturgical colors?  Many stoles can be
produced in goldwork, silkwork, blackwork, drawnthread, applique, patchwork,
canvaswork.  The type of needlework is not as important as making the stole
very personal to the priest who will use it in worship.

There are good books out on making up stoles, designing, symbolism, etc.,
but first do get some ideas from him.

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters
Currently working on a goldwork stole she hopes to have finished by this
Christmas for a friend.