HNW - Cleaning Needlework

Curtis & Mary ladymari at cybertrails.com
Thu Sep 24 17:25:37 PDT 1998

> The lemon juice - white vinegar sounds like it will harm the black silk on the
> linen.

Eowyn, I know of no reason an acidic mix like this would hurt the silk, though it
*could* weaken the linen.  Silk is a protien fiber and mild acids won't hurt it
[or wool], while linen, and other cellulose fibers *can* be damaged by acids.
Alkaline is just the reverse, damage to protien fibers, little or no damage to
cellulose, tho I use after dyeing dips of ammonia [very alkaline] to change colors
of natural dyes, without adverse affects on the fiber, it's just for a few
minutes, then rinsed out.

Hope you find a solution.
Mairi, Atenveldt