HNW - What is it?

Christa Powell christa at cet.com
Sat Sep 26 09:08:51 PDT 1998

At 11:51 AM 9/26/98 EDT, you wrote:
>The pieces are made from crochet-type thread, which appears
>to be some type of knotting, in a pattern of squares.  Looks almost like a
>netlike balanced weave.   Further, it looks like this background is used as a
>base for decorative embroidery, often flower-type motifs, from the same
>thread.  Some areas, often along the edges, are filled in with weaving similar
>to a hand-done darning stitch.  I've seen doilies, place mats, runners and
>tablecloths.
>
>Can anyone tell me, from my feeble description, what this might be and where I
>might find info (books or ?) which address this method?
>
>Detta Juusola,  Detta's Spindle, Maple Plain, MN
>Dettas at aol.com

        I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like you are describing "Irish
Crochet".
I found a couple of books about it in our local library, (Sorry, I don't
remember the
titles at the moment, but I might be able to look them up again.) and have also
seen the technique covered in various needlework encyclopedias.
        Hope this helps.

- --Christa
christa at cet.com