HNW - What is it?

Lynn Carpenter alwen at i2k.com
Sat Sep 26 10:06:50 PDT 1998

If, at the intersection of each of the squares, you find a knot, I agree
with Laura that this is almost certainly lacis or filet lace.  My 1947 Good
Housekeeping Needlecraft Encyclopedia calls it "lace net embroidery."  If
you can find a copy of Therese de Dillmont's "Complete Encyclopedia of
Needlework", originally published in, er, wait, my copy doesn't say! (mine
was printed by Running Press in 1972), she devotes a chapter to netting and
filet lace.

My mother has a lacis tablecloth and now that I know how to net, knows
where to go if it needs repairs!

I couldn't find the steel netting needles either, so I prevailed on one of
my brothers to make me one out of a piece of brass welding rod.

And I tried to get "Textiles and Clothing" from Hamilton Books last year
and they were sold out!  :(  I *will* have this book, even if I have to buy
it from  HMSO!

Lynn