HNW - cleaning silk embroidery

Carmen J Beaudry mor-plentyn at juno.com
Wed Sep 30 08:57:02 PDT 1998

About the only things I dry-clean are heavily interfaced garments such as
suit jackets.  I have a couple of items that can be neither washed nor
drycleaned; they get spot-cleaned with something like fuller's earth, and
then hung up to air.  As far as embroidery is concerned, I make sure the
threads are colorfast before using them (dip them in cold water, blot on
white cloth, if any of the dye runs, don't use them), and gently
hand-wash the finished garment.  I learned to do this from my
great-grandmother, who came from a long line of embroiderers and dress
makers, and who though dry-cleaning was a waste of money.

Carmen/mermaid/Melusine
mor-plentyn at juno.com