HNW - Buying Antique Lace

Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan) Karin.Oughton at geis.ge.com
Thu Jul 1 07:35:10 PDT 1999

I collect textile pieces on and off - equally I usually collect cookery
implements or masks...(yeah , an odd combination I know ) but I have found
that a GOOD framer can create beautiful pictures by framing textile/lace etc
for pictures and it can be done in a sensible museum fashion (it just
costs....) . I have an 18th century chinese silk embroidery and a 5th cyBC
egyptian woven cloth that I have had framed, acid free, anti UV glass etc,
and I haven't seen any major problems with them - they are not in direct
sunlight etc and I keep the house at a fairly stable temperature, so I see
no great difference between this and a museum vault - it's the initial set
up and care.

I guess I can't really use mine as a linen, but if I could I'd certainly do
so in a 'posh' part of the house (out of reach of kids, dogs and drunken
partygoers at christmas ) , but have a 'safe home' with acid free tissue
paper etc to store it in when something else comes out. Ask your local
museum chaps - often they are so excited to be acle to share any knowledge
that they'll go on for HOURS trying to help .... :)
#
karin