HNW - Victorian Gothic

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Thu Jul 1 12:12:29 PDT 1999

Dear Kayta:

I was packing most of my needlework books today, getting somewhat wistful
over some 16th century decorative projects I thought I would be
forgetting,due to the Victorian home we just bought. Your idea of doing
such designs  as Victorian Gothic Revival  *really*  made me ponder my
choices.

One of my books, about the textiles at the Isabella Stewart Gardiner Museum
(Boston) reminded me of something I saw there last year. One of the rooms
had a tablecloth of lacis/drawnwork of 16th century designs. I could *tell*
they were that old not just by the character of the motifs, but I
identified at least two of them as being from Vinciolo. I bought the
catalog in the gift shop and when I got home I read that the tablecloth was
made in the late 19th century, using older motifs. I saw some other
examples in the book  (that were not on display in the museum) which were
also of probable 19th century work using older motifs.

I think I will try and keep the downstairs as Victorian as I can, with
needlework projects that  reflect that. For our upstairs we already planned
on keeping our Renaissance bedroom, but had planned to try and be Victorian
for the other rooms. For upstairs, however, I will let myself have fun and
integrate random Renaissance projects.

Thanks so much for such a brainstorm!

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn