HNW - Old/Antique needlework

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Thu Jul 1 14:50:23 PDT 1999

Dear Penny:

<I would worry about using bleach.  I remember a discussion on h-costume
afew years back... the conclusion was that bleach never truly leaves a
fiber. Thus it breaks the fiber content down.>

I know, I'm not totally comfy with it. I rinse it well, then use Ivory
liquid and warm water to soak the bleached item in, in an attempt to
"neutralize" things.

<You might want to try some old fashioned methods like the sun. >

I'd worry about the sun bleaching the colored embroidery. Thea dvantage of
using bleach water on just the stain is that the rest of the cloth escapes.

< I do recall my mom using lemon juice to brighten.  I wonder if borax
would do the job with minimal damage.  In pre-Pampers days women used borax
soap powder on cloth diapers.>

With lemon juice, do you cut a lemon slice and rub it on? Let it dry then
rinse  by hand? With borax do you make a paste and apply it to the stain,
let sit for several hours then rinse? If borax would work I'd prefer that
to bleach, any day!

<A side note... on Dateline the other night, they had someone from Good
Housekeeping on testing modern carpet cleaners Vs the old fashioned methods
of cleaning stains.  The conclusion was that they both had the same
results.>

Don't you love it!  I feel really smug when that happens.  :-D

- --kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"