HNW - Old/Antique needlework

Jafath@aol.com Jafath at aol.com
Fri Jul 2 20:25:17 PDT 1999

In a message dated 99-07-01 01:35:45 EDT, Megan said:

<<  Apparently these
 were designed to be starched within an inch of their lives before display
 (like crochet baskets), but so that all the "frill" stits up -not
 vertically, but in "humps" like a mountain range, with the central valley in
 the middle.  She said that the best way to do this, and for starching any
 linen at all, is to use washing starch, which you add to the wash water.

Yes, and then you arrange them to dry over a circle of drinking glasses or
whatever so they end up in the proper configuration. My mother had one of
these, and washing it was not undertaken lightly!

(And I quibble, slightly, with the description "really old" . . ." <g>)

Jo Anne