HNW - lacis vs. filet crochet for Victorian

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Tue Jul 6 08:01:43 PDT 1999

Dear Kayta:

I have a question for you re filet crochet, because I think I agree with
you that it's probably best (and hardest wearing) for many household items.
I just bought a filet crochet book  (Dover) which has a tablecloth pattern
that they say can be used for darned net, too. Gosh, wouldn't a tablecloth
have to stand up to use? Anyway, my question is with regards to the
patterns that are not squaures. I've tried to understand the directions for
making extra spaces at the ends of  rows for the shaped pieces ( as opposed
to simple squares) . Is it the kind of thing where you just have to do it
and practice it before it gets easier? Also, the idea of working across the
chart then turning and working across it the other way is something I
suspect results in some disorientation at first? is there any one book you
found of great use when you started this, or did you  have the advantage of
needleworkers in  your family to show you?

< And, according to some period photosI have seen, overly fussy was just
one way to do Victorian Eclectic.  Not everyone laid on the needlework with
such a heavy hand as you mention not liking.>

It's not just the needlework that seems to be laid on with a heavy hand,
it's *everything*. I've been  browsing through various magazines on
Victorian homes -- ones that combine restored homes with  modern
decorating, too. DH and I look at some of them and mentally strip away half
of what's there (just personal taste). And although we like some Art
Nouveaeuy we don't care to live with it , or  Etruscan Revival. I think
we'll do the Gothic Revival bit where we can. I just adore the chance to
have a proper setting for Berlin Wool Work. I bought both of the Serena
books on it -- amazingly gorgeous books! Tons of inspiration.

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"