HNW - Eliz. Needlework replies

EowynA@aol.com EowynA at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 18:20:08 PDT 1999

<<The one I know of is _Dress in the Age of Elizabeth I_ (London: Batsford,
1988) which has some nice b&w photos of embroidered pieces, including some
nightcaps, shirts and I think a partlet or two, as well as things like The
Shepherd's Buss.  Is there another?

Yes, there are two Ashelford books on Elizabethan clothing, _Dress in the Age
of Elizabeth I_  cited above, and _The Sixteenth Century_, in the _A Visual
History of Costume_ series.  This is out of print, and I  got one recently
only by sheerest chance (the publisher had some in the warehouse, and in the
course of handling a different order, asked the proprietor of Hedgehog
Handworks if she wanted the remaining stock.  She leapt at the chance,
mentioned it to the local Elizabethan enthusiasts, and had them sold as she
took them out of the box.)

_The Sixteenth Century_ consists of 1-2 photos of portrait paintings per page
(8 pages in color, rest in black and white), with several paragraphs about
the painting and the clothing seen in it.  The photos are arranged

_Dress in the Age of Elizabeth_ tells the story of garb of that time, with
more text, and 6 chapters (1. Women's dress 1558 - 1603, 2. Men's dress 1558
- - 1603, 3. London and the Fashion trade, 4. the language of dress, 5. dress
and social status, 6. festive dress).  Again, there are only 8 pp. of color
plates, but the black and white photos include photos of surviving artifacts,
as well as painted portraits.

Yes, there is some overlap between the books in the portraits chosen (there
are a finite number, after all).  If you want details of the portrait, the
_Sixteenth Century__ book is better.  If you want to know how it all fits
together, the _Dress_ book is better.  Both are probably out of print.

Melinda Sherbring, Los Angeles