HNW - development of crochet

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Sat Jul 3 14:07:52 PDT 1999

This is another needlework can of worms.  Many people see the ancestors of
crochet as far back as the 1500's.  Many 'fights' have occurred over
whether some pieces are really crochet or are something which looks like
crochet but where the threads don't go the same way as they do in crochet.
The first surviving pieces of crochet, along with the first surviving books
about it, date from the 1840's.

Joel Thompson writes, in a message sent 11:35 A 07/06/99 -0400:

>Hello listers!
>A friend and I have been having a discussion about early forms of
>needlework.  Can anyone give a definite date and place for when crochet was
>developed?  What type of hook was used? How about the thread/yarn?  Any info
>is appreciated.
>
>TIA
>Linda

Kayta