HNW - Book ideas

Linn Skinner skinner02 at sprynet.com
Thu Jul 8 08:17:34 PDT 1999

Hi all:

Slips are wonderful little bits.  I see them in cross and half cross and
continental stitch.  They are drawn (usually by professional embroiderers
[meaning artists, not stitchers]) on very coarse linen canvas, outlined in
black and then filled in with various colors and threads.

The V&A had a nice little temporary exhibit last winter which gave a feel of
the complete picture.  They had correspondence (an invoice/receipt) from the
embroiderer and several of the slips concerned exhibited together.  This is
the collection from which the illustrations of slips in their books is
taken, i.e. the lemon.  They also had a swatch of fabric which had been
prepared with drawings ready to be stitched.

I really would have to say that in my opinion the Mary Queen of Scots/Bess
of Hardwick embroideries are more properly medallions or rondels for
attachment to ground fabric rather than slips.  Just a personal preference -
I tend to see and hear the term "slips" more often applied to those motifs
which are not enclosed in a geometric border, but cut 'round the outline of
the design detail instead.  I'm working on a proposal to teach a class on
slips next year because I think they are intriguing and the progenitor of
our current interest in shaded cross-stitch.

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters