HNW - lacis vs. filet crochet for Victorian

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Thu Jul 8 11:45:09 PDT 1999

Dear Kayta:

<I am ambidextrous and dyslexic.  This turns out to be an advantage when
switching from left-to-right to right-to-left.>

Wow! Talk about taking lemons and making lemonade! You must be an absolute
dazzler with this !

< The only needleworker's advice I can pass on from my family is this:  If
you make one mistake, rip it out.  But if you make the same mistake at
regular intervals, call it a pattern.>

LOL!  This is great advice (my non-needleworkers friends think me crazy
when I rip out what they see as minor mistakes).

< And there are others where you can't see the wallpaper for the stuff
hanging on the walls.  Just like some homes today have crochet toilet tank
covers, with matching crochet toilet paper roll covers and Kleenex box
covers, and some don't. >

I once browsed through the Caulfield books on Victorian Embroidery. At the
end of the second volume there was a section full of etchings of uses for
needlework. I think what dropped my jaw the most was the idea of
embroidering bands for the covers that went over food (to protect it from
flies and bugs). Gee,makes covers for toilet paper look absolutely normal.

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwynd
"too many centuries...too little time"