HNW - lacis vs. filet crochet for Victorian

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Thu Jul 8 11:53:02 PDT 1999

Dear Morganuse:

<Could someone please re post the source for net for fillit embroidery?  >

Oh, dear, forget it! I got my shipment from American Needlewoman and  was
bitterly disappointed. (thankfully, the woman who helped me on the phone
said I could return it). It was so totally wrong I was floored. It seems
that some modern people like to weave yarn in and out of  a netted
background to make it look like they knitted or crocheted an aftgan. They
use this tightly woven mesh -- alas, the squares are filled in with machine
filling every other square or I could have kept it . I was totally
unprepared for this, and what also confused me is that their catalog seemed
to indicate two types of netting, one of them used for lace darning.

I am going to return the whole package, along with a cover letter --and I
am going to tape a tiny swatch of my netting to it, to show them what I'm
looking for. I *thought* the price of $7.49 a yard was too good to be
true.!    Meanwhile, I have this sinking feeling that this is such a
specialty item that we will have to pay the steep prices Lacis wants.
Hmmm..  time to  cruise the Web for Lace suplies....  (it makes a break
from packing).

- --Kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"