HNW - Setting Silk Dyes

EowynA@aol.com EowynA at aol.com
Thu Jul 8 21:06:59 PDT 1999

Hi!

I am about to start an embroidered Elizabethan coif in silk, (finishing off
the design details now), and while I do not expect to get it wet, or to wash
it, I consider it possible that rain might fall upon it.   Thus, I would like
the effect better if it did not cause the dye to run.  Silk thread is
notorious for having the dye run.

I understand that there is a mixture of water and vinegar that I can soak the
threads in first that may set the dyes.  Does anyone know what the optimal
proportions might be?

Thanks,
Melinda