HNW - RE: h-needlework V1 #384

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Fri Jul 9 06:03:43 PDT 1999

Dear Kayta:

< Victorians spoke of 'improving the time', and they meant filling in those
otherwise dead moments with something useful like crochet or embroidery.  I
believe this is how even not-so-rich women had time to pave their houses in
crochet and all that other needlework stuff.  That's got to be why we have
so much of it now.>

My Hungarian grandmother had 7 children, and my Mom wonders why we had so
much of her tatting, crocheting, etc. around the house.  Well, those
children grew up! Grandma could barely read or write English and sewed on a
treadle machine. Gotta do something in those long winter months when you
can't garden, put up jams,etc. Especially once your sons are off in World
War 2 and the daughters marry (Grandma then made things for the
grandchildren).

- --Kathryn
SCA:Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"