HNW - Can we get a reprint?

Sarah Randles s-randles at adfa.edu.au
Sun Jul 25 23:51:36 PDT 1999

At 12:47 AM 7/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a friend who's a manager at Kinko's.  I got Schuette out of the
>library for his wife and she went nuts over it (yes, I'm working to
>corrupt her).

Which Shuette?  She actually wrote quite a bit.  The only one that I know
was translated into English was The Art of Embroidery, co-authored by
Sigrid Muller-Christensen, and translated by Donald King.  I think the
English publication was Thames and Hudson and published around 1964.
Copyright is likely to be tricky for that one, even though it was written
some time earlier.

The Schuette publication _I_ want a copy of is called _Gestickte
Bildteppiche des Mittelalters_ and is a *huge* pair of two volumes written
in German and published in Leipzig in 1927 and 1930.  They are about the
numerous convent embroideries mostly from north Germany from the late 13th
century onwards, and have lovely clear black and white photos.  The State
Library of Victoria in Melbourne has both volumes, but won't lend them - I
had to go to Melbourne to use them, but will make microfilm copies for an
inordinate amount of money!

Incidentally, if looking for Marie Schuette's work, it's useful to know
that 'Schuette' is a transliteration of Schutte with an umlaut over the u.
Since some catalogues have a policy of leaving out accents all together,
it's also worth search for Schutte as well.

Sarah