HNW - but is it blackwork?

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Mon Jul 26 03:48:39 PDT 1999

I am currently doing a piece of cross stitch on aida cloth, black geometric
patterns on the white cloth.  People keep asking me if it's blackwork, and
I don't know what to tell them.  Blackwork, to my mind, is that Elizabethan
stuff with the counted thread patterns filling in leaf and flower and
shapes (with the occasional pea pod and bug thrown in).  What I am doing is
for a German Ren. shirt yoke panel.  I don't think of what I am doing as
blackwork, tho mine is entirely black stitching on white.  So am I really
doing blackwork or not?

Kayta
     ////.\\\
     |   -- ))))