HNW - h-needlework V1 #403

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Thu Jul 29 15:52:12 PDT 1999

I have
>seen far more smocking on people portrayed in Germanic and Eastern European
>clothing than English or French.

Look at shirt necks in Holbein paintings.  Especially look at the ones
where there is a triangle seam going onto the shoulder.  You get that when
you smock the neck.  The seam right above that triangle is the side seam
(!) where it connects again above the armhole.  The part inside that
triangle is the top of the sleeve.  (Gotta scan the one I just made that
way.  I had to make one to see that it really worked, and it did, just like
in the picture.)

The picture of Henry VIII I copied is a Holbein, painted in 1536, now in
the Thyssen Gallery/Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection in Castagnola (Lugano).

Kayta
     ////.\\\
     |   -- ))))