HNW - Hungarian needlework

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at slip.net
Tue Jun 8 10:12:28 PDT 1999

>< Are the Hungarian "folk" costumes period?  And where would I look for
>documentation?>
>
>Most modern folk costumes are not that old -- although bits and pieces of
>some of them are, most national costume is, maybe, 18th century at best.

Many of what we think of as 'traditional' folk costumes were actually
invented in the 1800's to look 'quaint' for tourists.  They were
amalgamations of earlier elements and later ones, some few with a long dose
of fantasy thrown in.  I wouldn't use any of these for SCA, but I would use
any of them for Victoria, some even for English Regency.

Kayta
     ////.\\\
     |   -- ))))