HNW - Another Blackwork question

Linn Skinner skinner02 at sprynet.com
Tue Jun 8 12:20:53 PDT 1999

Liz:

When blackwork sorts of linear designs were worked on samplers in the 16/17
Century they were done in a counted technique.

I have only seen one costume piece in black that came close to being a
counted thread technique.

Voided ground designs from Italy began to be worked in a counted manner
quite early on.  I believe mainly because the tradition of drawn thread
(another counted technique) was done at the same time and the concept
developed because of this sort of counting.

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters
skinner_sisters at compuserve.com