HNW - Another Blackwork question

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Wed Jun 9 07:41:17 PDT 1999

Dear Elisabeth:

<Anyone out there know when people might have started to count threads
towork a blackwork or Assisi pattern?>

At least as early as the 16th century. I can't put my hand on the page I
xeroxed out of a needlework history book, but it mentions a complaint by
one 16th century printer of patterns that some ladies were too lazy to do
the counting themselves, so charted patterns were being made available to
them. (I am roughly paraphrasing here). I am still banging my head against
the wall for not getting complete bibliographic info on where that page is
from -- it's on my List of Things To Do the next time i get near the
Philadelphia Main  Branch.

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"