HNW - filet lace supplies

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Fri Jun 25 11:26:23 PDT 1999

Dear Carllein:

<JoAnn's used to carry small pieces in bags.>

WoW! What section of the store was that in? I have two JoAnn's near me, so
I'd be happy to haunt their aisles Or was it with the fabric, or upholstery
stuff on rolls? . I also have an odd hole in the wall kind of craft store
that I plan to check out. This weekend DH and I are going to a Michael's
and a place called Crafts Galore, hunting, hunting for net! <G> Rita Weiss,
in this booklet I bought, glibly mentoins how netting and darningthread is
now available in craft stores. Yeah, sure! She suggests using the #5 size
thread, and if you cant' find that, use #5 perle cotton. I am using #10
crochet cotton which is working out pretty well. I will try the perle
cotton when I'm done with this Vinciolo square.

<Is reprise stitch done like the figure 8?>

Yes, it's a simple going in and out between the meshes. I am working it
horizontally, side to side, but it can be done vertically. In cloth stitch
you go one direction, then come back and weave in the other direction,
making a solid shape. Naturally, most extant pieces from the 16th century
is cloth stitch. *sigh*

I am lucky enough to own a copy of Pauline Knight's "The Technique of Filet
Lace" and have seen a copy of Carita's "Lacis" (at a research library).
They are both great books. "Lace"  by Virginia Churchill Bath gives a nice
diagram of doing cloth stitch which may encourage me to try it soon.

I was going to teach myself filet crochet (we just bought a Victorian house
- -- time to decorate!) but got sidetracked by filet lace. From what I
understand, filet crochet was developed as a means to imitate the older
form, lacis.

- --Kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"