HNW - underside couching

Larsdatter, Karen Karen at stierbach.atlantia.sca.org
Sun Jun 27 13:47:49 PDT 1999

Usually when I do underside couching, I lay a row of the gold down,
and using the couching thread (the thing that goes underneath -- for
which I generally use something that's a similar color to the metal
thread that's being couched on the top, or if that's impossible,
something that's the color of the base fabric) I come up through the
fabric, loop the thread over the metal, come back through the fabric
in the same hole that I came up through, and, holding onto the
metal so that it stays even, pop it through the cloth just a little
ways.

While this technique isn't terribly true to the concept of underside
couching, it does give the same result, gives you a more even top
surface, and works even with relatively stiff metallics.

That's my technique, at least ... your mileage may vary ;)

Karen