HNW - lacis vs. filet crochet for Victorian

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Tue Jun 29 07:13:26 PDT 1999

Dear Kayta:

< So for Victorian decorating stick with the crochet version, as many
actual Victorians did.  It looks almost as nice, takes WAY less time, and
there's no puzzling out where the threads go next. >

For doing just smple reprise stitch I have to disagree-- I think it's much
faster to do that than filet crochet, since the net background is already
made. I think that if I find cloth stitch too annoying then filet would
work better and probably faster.

<I think crochet isn't as fragile as lacis in situations where it will take
a lot of wear, like antimacassars and curtains.  It also has the virtue of
being machine washable, where I'd be afraid to run real lacis thru the
washer and dryer.  >

Yes, but I have no aversion to hand washing -- a lot of my garb is washed
by hand and I have no problem with that. Modern people seem to demand that
absolutely everything be machine washable and dryable --  not me!

<I have done Victorian filet crochet and cross-stitch from Vinciolo and
other Renaissance needlework reprints, and called it 'Gothic Revival'.>

I think this is frightfully clever! <G> With an 1889 house I admit it's
been tempting to do Art Nouveau, or Tuscan Revival, or Gothic Revival.
However, I think we are going to just go with Eclectic Victorian (we don't
like the overly fussy decorating typical of the time).

I am trying, very  hard, not to think about doing Berlin Wool Work pelmets
for all the  bay windows.......

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"