HNW - filet lace--technique

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Tue Jun 29 12:15:12 PDT 1999

Dear List:

I love to hang around antique stores, and recently found a piece of real
lacis (probably Victorian, tourist item or home made). It is quite
obviously of linen thread, worked on hand knotted mesh. It's a lovely
pattern of grapes (my SCA arms have grapes and  Catherine Wheels) and since
it's only $15.00 I'm seriously thinking of buying it. I am going to use a
grape motif for the downstairs of my  new home, so this would fit right in.
I also had the chance to see some cheaper lacis pieces (antique stores
these days are full of old linens).

The linen thread is quite flat and thin, so even with using cloth stitch
the effect is very airy and "spacey". The reprise stitch I am doing results
in a *much* more solid block than the pieces I saw which used the more
complicated cloth stitch. This is probably due to the fact that the  modern
spun crochet cottons and perle cotton I am using are fluffier and fill out
the space more. If I try doing cloth stitch with these modern crochet
cottons I'd probably get a result fairly similar to what I am  getting with
the reprise stitch. I've never made my own netting, but I suspect that
netting threads are linen and similar to lace threads. Someday, someday....

- --Kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"