HNW - Buying Antique Lace

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Wed Jun 30 14:03:49 PDT 1999

Dear Donna:

<However, you need to decide if you want the piece as an investment or as a
decoration for your home.>

I want it as a study piece *and* as a decoration for my home. I collect
Blue Willow China, not linens. I am feeling thankful that others seem to
think that household linens were made to be used, too.

When I used to visit England my friends there stunned me when they said
they used bleach to clean their embroidered tablecloths. :-O  Then I took
their advice. If you dilute the bleach and hover over the stain like a
mothering angel, it does just fine. I use my embroidered tablecloths for
serving people tea and of course, there are tea stains.

I think the saddest thing is to see all those lovely handworked linens of
various types at antique shops, flea markets, etc. . To see the hand
embroidered linens from the 1920's, '30's amd '50's  gathering dust is so
pitiful -- they are like lonely orphans. Some of them have hand worked
crochet lace or tatted lace, and I've seen very finely worked drawn thread
work on high count handkerchief weight linen. . Poor little things!

My mother puts a nasty clear plastic cover over the tablecloth she and I
embroidered in the 1960's. :-(

- --Kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"