HNW - Hardanger Embroidery

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Mon May 3 08:18:36 PDT 1999

Dear Pearl:

<From the response I got it would appear that Hardanger is not
period,although it has roots in cutwork, cutwork it not what I'm interested
in.>

Are  you more attracted to the idea of geometric patterns and countwork,
but * not* cross stitch? If so, you might really enjoy the German 14th-15th
century counted satin stitch/brick stitch  work researched and written
about by Master Richard Wymarc (Timothy J. Mitchell) and Joyce Miller.
Master Richard wrote a Compleat Anachronist on the subject. His work and
Joyce Miller's can be found on a website from  the Medieval Embroidery
Homepage -- there are links into it.

The work may  be the ancestor of bargello/Florentine work. The stitches are
worked with what we might think of as counted satin stitch --it's countwork
and it's geometric, but you entirely cover the surface of the foundation
fabric, making a sort of brocade. Each stitch covers from 2 to 6 vertical
threads, in steps of 1 or 2. The webpages show lovely color photos of some
of the original pieces in museums -- you should go see it just for the fun
of seeing Neat Stuff!

- --Kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
'too many centuries...too little time"