HNW - Hardanger Embroidery

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Mon May 3 12:07:29 PDT 1999

Dear M:

< She is an accomplished crossticher and has is working on a Blackwork
project.  A question came up when we were siting arround embroidering.  She
asked why she couldn't use adia cloth for her project, we had been
disscussing linen, evenweave,ect.My imeadieat answer was "because its not
period".  She answered why, and show me where.>

The objection many of us have to Aida is that it is agressively woven witih
blocks, and I have not yet seen surviving material that looks like this. I
use Aida as a substitute for linen canvas when I want to totally cover the
surface so the Aida doesn't show. When you do samplers the background
fabric does indeed show. I would also point out that for some techniques
aida doesnt' work well -- I would not suggegst it at all for long-armed
cross stitch because it's hard to do compensating stitches. (this has been
my experience, anyway)

Many of us here on the List have viewed surviving needlework from the 16th
century onwards; some of us in person in museums, or in photos in books on
historical embroidery. The linen used by most stitchers in the past was
finely woven-- often 40 to 60 threads per inch. These were not woven in
obvious square blocks, the way Aida is.

- --Kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"