HNW - Hardanger Embroidery

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Mon May 3 17:01:28 PDT 1999

Dear Morganuse:

< I have a question.  What was the most "popular" or widely done enbroidery
of the 16th century?  The area of interest is Western Europe, or
the period equlivent of such.>

Gosh, I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this.  If one wishes to go by
the many  needlework pattern books, then I'd say lacis, which is a darned
net embroidery. The patterns were also used for cross stitch (because there
are surviving examples) but lacis seems to have been *really* popular. They
were often worked as squares, in a small frame easily held in the hand,then
joined up to make table covers, bed curtains, etc. I've seen quotes in some
books about Catherine de Medici leaving vast numbers of squares when she
died, as well as bed curtains made up from squares that had been made up.

I'm sure you'll get lots of differing  opinons from the List! <BG>

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"