HNW - Blackwork thread counts

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Tue May 4 12:32:42 PDT 1999

Dear Elizabeth:

<If surviving Elizabethan blackwork embroideries were on 40-60 count linen,
were they generally worked over four?  (Over *gulp* one?)>

>From what I undestand, the work was often done over 3 (if working, say, on
60  count linen). I recenty received catalogs from Scarlet Letter and
Essemplaire. Imagine my chagrin at having kits with 35 count linen stated
at being "easy, beginner"., even the ones that say to use tent stitch over
one thread. :-O   (why don't I just throw my embroidery  hoop away and take
up  basket weaving??)

- --Kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodyn
"too many centuries...too little time"