HNW - Blackwork thread counts

Frank&Tracy Thallas JR hardcorps at vcn.com
Tue May 4 14:06:52 PDT 1999

> If surviving Elizabethan blackwork embroideries were on 40-60 count
> linen, were they generally worked over four?  (Over *gulp* one?)

   Blackwork on regular fabric (linen, etc) has to be worked over at least 2,
or your stitch slides under the ground thread and disappears.....
  Your stitch length should match the effect you're wishing to create.  I work
mostly on clothing on handkerchief linen (about 50-count) or batiste (about
60 count), about 20-25 stitches per inch, and match the embroidery thread
thickness to the thickness of the ground threads.
  For larger work - cushions, table linen, etc - you'd want a heavier effect,
so longer stitches would probably be in order.

Liadain