HNW - Linen evenweave? or cotton?

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Tue May 4 16:46:43 PDT 1999

Dear List:

I'm not a whiz on fibres. I bought (and am happy working with) a 28 count
fabric that claims  be linen. The  bolt said "100% linen". However -- it
only cost $10/yard.

I burned some threads. They flared up and burned quickly and brightly and
left a gray cloth-like ash. The fabric has that lovely "cool hand" when you
touch it, but the weave simply is not at all like what I'm used to with
linen. It's heavier and the threads look rounder. It has lovely spaces
between the threads-- great for working brick stitch!

I'm doing Germanic counted satin stitch/brick stitch with cotton DMC floss
so I don't care about strict authenticity for that project.  However I'm
thinking of re-starting one that I *was* working with silk floss,and would
prefer to work on real  linen. My concern is that this 28 count is a
cotton/linen mixture, like a Linda, rather than pure linen.

Any informed opinions? I bought it at a hole in the wall store out here in
the Boonies of NW New Jersey, not a specialty needlework store--the
salewoman didn't have a clue.

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"