HNW - Knitting questions

debra dunbar felinebert at prodigy.net
Tue May 4 19:45:40 PDT 1999

- ------=_NextPart_000_003D_01BE967F.D5C7D9D0

Greetings all!
I'm a fairly good modern knitter starting to do some period knitting.  =
I've already done a falling "lace" ruff (circa 1590-1625) and a snood, =
and have begun a pair of lacey stockings.
  1.. I've always done a traditional turned heel, but the Mary Thomas =
book mentions weaving a spare thread in where the heel will be, then =
going back after the sock is finished and "picking up" this section to =
knit what appears to be a bag for the heel.  Has anyone done this type =
of turned heel?  It seems that it would pull on the side of the sock =
unless you used some stretchy thread.  My socks are not too stretchy, =
and I was planning on doubling the thread on the heel, bottom and toes, =
so they will be a little stiff for this, I think.  Any ideas on how a =
heel was turned in period?  Any documentation?
  2.. The Thomas book also mentioned actually cutting the knitting and =
turning it under in a hem to open up necklines, etc.  This is a =
sacrilege!  I always go crazy trying to make garments as seamless as =
possible.  Is this like the Victorian insanity over neat backsides to =
embroidery?  Any idea if they actually cut the knitted piece and hemmed =
it in the middle ages?
I welcome any other knitting comments.
    Deb. Dunbar
(Baroness Rhiall of Wystanesdon)

- ------=_NextPart_000_003D_01BE967F.D5C7D9D0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D'"MSHTML 5.00.0910.1309"' name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Greetings all!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm a fairly good modern knitter =
starting to do=20
some period knitting.&nbsp; I've already done a falling &quot;lace&quot; =
ruff=20
(circa 1590-1625) and a snood, and have begun a pair of lacey=20
stockings.</FONT></DIV>
<OL>
  <LI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've always done a traditional turned =
heel, but=20
  the Mary Thomas book mentions weaving a spare thread in where the heel =
will=20
  be, then going back after the sock is finished and &quot;picking =
up&quot; this=20
  section to knit what appears to be a bag for the heel.&nbsp; Has =
anyone done=20
  this type of turned heel?&nbsp; It seems that it would pull on the =
side of the=20
  sock unless you used some stretchy thread.&nbsp; My socks are not too=20
  stretchy, and I was planning on doubling the thread on the heel, =
bottom and=20
  toes, so they will be a little stiff for this, I think.&nbsp; Any =
ideas on how=20
  a heel was turned in period?&nbsp; Any documentation?</FONT></LI>
  <LI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The Thomas book also mentioned =
actually cutting=20
  the knitting and turning it under in a hem to open up necklines, =
etc.&nbsp;=20
  This is a sacrilege!&nbsp; I always go crazy trying to make garments =
as=20
  seamless as possible.&nbsp; Is this like the Victorian insanity over =
neat=20
  backsides to embroidery?&nbsp; Any idea if they actually cut the =
knitted piece=20
  and hemmed it in the middle ages?</FONT></LI></OL>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I welcome any other knitting =
comments.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Deb. =
Dunbar</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>(Baroness Rhiall of=20
Wystanesdon)</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_003D_01BE967F.D5C7D9D0--