HNW - Linen evenweave? or cotton?

Mike Newell 72123.411 at compuserve.com
Wed May 5 15:19:42 PDT 1999

Dear Carllein:

<1. Take a handful and bunch it hard in your fist.. >

It wrinkles, but the wrinkles shake themselves out after a bit. .

2. Take a thread, dampen it and pull.  Linen thread is very strong for its
size. >.

Dampened thread is *very* strong. ( I can't break it by hand, even wet).

<3. Take a thread and pull the fibres out.  Long?  Short?  Linen, long;c
otton or rayon, short & may be fuzzy.>

Long hard (non-fuzzy)threads that pull out easily.

I need to go to a craft store and check out the packets of Zweigart linen,
maybe. The weight of this fabric is  heavier than most evenweave linens
I've seen, which is why I'm suspicious. It isn't as flat, thin, and light
as most evenweave linen I've seen. I suspect it's a linen/cotton mix, and
might grit my teeth and use the silk on it, anyway (I'm such a klutz with
linen for this stitch).

I gather the cloth like gray ash doesn't count? Or that it burned quickly
and cleanly?

- --Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time: