HNW - Embroidering Damask

Linn Skinner skinner02 at sprynet.com
Fri May 7 08:21:20 PDT 1999

>I'd love to get hold of this book. Are the examples decorative bands or all
>all-over patterns?
>
>Joanna

Joanna:

The ISBN no on the book is 0 500 23662 3.  It is an invaluable reference,
particularly as it is lavishly illustrated.  Not a cheap book, but often
available by interlibrary loan.

The voided velvet has been embroidered in all of the voided areas in an over
all pattern.  There is also one detail of a portrait by Bronzino of Eleanor
of Toledo (1525-26) wearing a brocaded velvet which has been embellished by
couching metal cords around the outlines, but I don't think this is the sort
of intense embroidery you had in mind.  Nice little blackwork design on the
cuff of an undergarment as well.

Good luck in your research.  I'll be interested to see what you turn up.

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters
skinner_sisters at compuserve.com