HNW - floss substitute-cotton or rayon?

lisaleon@hawaii.edu lisaleon at hawaii.edu
Sat May 8 10:58:52 PDT 1999

One of these days I will get around to trying opus anglicanum, or nue',
and Elizabethan-type work with detatched buttonhole stitch filling.  Until
I gain some facility (and a lot of money) I'll be using something besides
reeled silk.  As far as appearance goes, would cotton or rayon floss be
better?  I tend to think that rayon is TOO shiny and the silk floss I've
seen looks much more like cotton.  What would you all recommend?

All the silk floss I've seen has been plied rather than reeled.  Does
reeled have significantly more sheen and luster?

thanks,
lisa