HNW - floss substitute-cotton or rayon?

cynthia j ley cley at juno.com
Sun May 9 19:11:18 PDT 1999

By "reeled" do you mean flat?

I'm currently doing a split-stitch project which, if I'd done it as it
would have been done historically, would have been done in flat silk. As
it stands, it would cost me lots of money I don't have to do it that way.
As the piece includes some cartooning (outlines of figures in black(, I
opted to do the cartooning in flat silk (provides a lovely fine line) and
the rest of in DMC cotton. I am very pleased with the results, and find
the luster quality just about right.

If you are referring to flat silk versus twisted, yes--the flat silk does
have considerably more sheen on it. Twisted silks have very rich color,
but luster seems to show only in certain shades; otherwise the colors are
matte.

					Arlys

P.S. I don't know what you're looking at costwise, but locally (Portland,
OR) twisted silk (often called needlepoint silk) sells for $3.50 a skein,
and flat silk for $6 a spool.