HNW - floss substitute-cotton or rayon?

Diane S. Sawyer tasha_medved at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 10:17:17 PDT 1999

- --- Valerie Frazier <frazierv at calbt.com> wrote:
> When I first started to work opus anglicanum I  used
> DMC cotten floss.
> Than I found Ping Ling silk.  This is an 8 ply silk
> with very little
> twist.  It is wonderful for split stitch and has a
> marvolous sheen.  And
> it is really not that expensive.  It runs between
> 2.50 & 2.80 a spool.
> It is put out by Krineck (?).  If you contact them
> they can put you in
> contact with stores that sell it.
>
> What I did was dedicate 25.00 each month to the
> purchase of Ping Ling.
> At the end of a year I had a good palette to work
> from.  Now I spend
> about 25.00 every 3 months to replenish my stash.
>
> While I think rayon can be a good substitute for
> silk, I also think it
> has a harsh shine to it.  The sheen that silk has is
> very different.
> Silk also works very differently from rayon.  My
> advice would be to
> spend the extra time and money to collect the real
> thing before starting
> an opus anglicanum or Or Nue project.  You will be
> happier in the long
> run with the finished product.
>
> Please excuse my spelling.
>
> Valerie Frazier
> (Letitia de Scotia)

My 2 pence:

I *hate* working with rayon floss.  It breaks easily,
frays in the needle eye, frays badly at the end, and
if you try to wet it to re-thread the needle, it just
laughs at you.  The colors are amazing, but the only
way I can see around these problems is using
significantly shorter lengths of floss, and that would
necessitate replacing the thread too often, which
would drive me almost as nuts as the problems in the
first place.

I haven't tried working with silk yet, but it's on my
list, after finishing Pennsic garb.

===
Nastasiia Ivanova Medvedeva
aka Tasha