HNW - floss substitute-cotton or rayon?

Valerie Frazier frazierv at calbt.com
Mon May 10 10:41:33 PDT 1999

Opus anglicanum is English work.  It was the height of English
embrodery.  The height of English work was in the 12th century.  A
couple of the really fine examples include the Jesse Cope and the Sion
Cope in the V&A.  It is done prinmarly in Split stitch and UnderSide
Couching.

Or Nue is later and was centered on the continent.  The finest example
are the Golden Fleece vestments in Vienna.  This is a later style and
can be equated to painting with a needle.  Pictures were created by
couching silk on Gold.  The shading was created by spacing the couching
threads on the gold, lighter had more space and darker was closer
together.  The height of Or Nue was the 15th - 16th century.

Valerie Frazier
(Letitia de Scotia)