HNW - Linen (was: Hardanger Embroidery)

EowynA@aol.com EowynA at aol.com
Wed May 12 20:12:34 PDT 1999

<<Even weave linen and the other period background fabrics tend to be in a
prohibitive price range for many of  us. ...  I would be hard pressed to
spend such money  ($50/60 per yard ) for many other purposes.  >>

I have had good luck using both drapery linen (washed in hot water to remove
the sizing and dried in a hot drier to pre-shrink it) and clothing linen for
my ground fabric for embroidery and embellished clothing.  I have had good
luck finding close-to-evenweave linens by taking a couple straight pins and a
measuring tape with me to the fabric store.   Then I stand there, measure out
an inch in each direction, and count threads.  Most of the clothing linens
I've found are in the 28 - 34 threads per inch range. Prices in my area have
ranged from $9/yd. to $30/yd (for very heavy linen).  If the linen is more
than a couple threads off even-weave, then I consider how I will place the
motifs.

Most blackwork bands look fine on non-evenweaves, particularly if the
"stretch" (lesser count direction) is done along the length of the band
(collars and cuffs, for instance). Counted cross-stitch and Assisi may not be
as successful.

Your mileage may vary,
Eowyn Amberdrake, Caid
(Melinda Sherbring, Los Angeles)