HNW - Embroidering Damask?

EowynA@aol.com EowynA at aol.com
Wed May 12 21:00:33 PDT 1999

Hello!

I wish this thread had come up a couple weeks earlier!   I would have taken
notes.

I saw some 16th century vestments in the Treasury at the Se Cathedral in
Lisbon that had some embroidered outlines of damask motifs (I think I recall
some pearled outlines, too, but I'm not sure any more).  But I did not note
down any particulars, and all I really recall is my thought at the time, "Oh,
good, they outlined damask motifs, too."  The 17th century ones filled the
damask motifs with couched goldwork -- much gaudier.  You could tell from the
ostentatious liturgical accouterments when the wealth of the "Black Ship"
started flowing into Portugal .

Eowyn Amberdrake, Caid
(Melinda Sherbring, Los Angeles)