HNW - Cleaning Embroidered Velveteen

rmwarlow@hemnet.com.au rmwarlow at hemnet.com.au
Thu May 13 02:11:29 PDT 1999

- --------------282312F0A65F34BC9AC49270

Hi there
Where I am it's too hot for velvet, so I substitute cotton velveteen.  I wash it
in the washing machine.  Shrinkage is minimal on the cold cycle. (non-existant
unless there's a nasty selvedge)  However, in view of the embroidery in gold
thread, I'd opt for handwashing.

Marit  :-)

EowynA at aol.com wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just got back from Istanbul, where I bought a lovely embroidered cotton
> "dress" (tunic) and an embroidered cotton velveteen (I think) caftan. I
> bought them in the covered bazaar -- who knows how long they had been in the
> little shop.
>
> The white dress seemed a bit dull in color, so I hand washed it in cold water
> with a little Ivory soap and Biz in it (which is how I clean my needlework).
> Lots and lots of dust/dirt came out (I washed it 3 times before the rinse
> water ran clear).  The gold embroidery survived the washing in fine shape.
>
> Then I sniffed the caftan.  It seems to have an odor (tobacco smoke?), and
> given the experience with the dress, it also probably needs cleaning.  The
> caftan is embroidered with the same gold thread as the dress.
>
> Does anyone know how washable cotton velveteen is?  Is it likely to shrink
> appreciably in cold water and thus ruin the effect of the embroidery?  Has
> anyone else tried this?
>
> Thanks for any advice you may have,
> Eowyn Amberdrake, Caid  (Melinda Sherbring, Los Angeles)

- --------------282312F0A65F34BC9AC49270

<HTML>
Hi there
<BR>Where I am it's too hot for velvet, so I substitute cotton velveteen.&nbsp;
I wash it in the washing machine.&nbsp; Shrinkage is minimal on the cold
cycle. (non-existant unless there's a nasty selvedge)&nbsp; However, in
view of the embroidery in gold thread, I'd opt for handwashing.<I></I>

<P>Marit&nbsp; :-)<I></I>

<P><I>EowynA at aol.com wrote:</I>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE><I>Hi!</I><I></I>

<P><I>I just got back from Istanbul, where I bought a lovely embroidered
cotton</I>
<BR><I>"dress" (tunic) and an embroidered cotton velveteen (I think) caftan.
I</I>
<BR><I>bought them in the covered bazaar -- who knows how long they had
been in the</I>
<BR><I>little shop.</I><I></I>

<P><I>The white dress seemed a bit dull in color, so I hand washed it in
cold water</I>
<BR><I>with a little Ivory soap and Biz in it (which is how I clean my
needlework).</I>
<BR><I>Lots and lots of dust/dirt came out (I washed it 3 times before
the rinse</I>
<BR><I>water ran clear).&nbsp; The gold embroidery survived the washing
in fine shape.</I><I></I>

<P><I>Then I sniffed the caftan.&nbsp; It seems to have an odor (tobacco
smoke?), and</I>
<BR><I>given the experience with the dress, it also probably needs cleaning.&nbsp;
The</I>
<BR><I>caftan is embroidered with the same gold thread as the dress.</I><I></I>

<P><I>Does anyone know how washable cotton velveteen is?&nbsp; Is it likely
to shrink</I>
<BR><I>appreciably in cold water and thus ruin the effect of the embroidery?&nbsp;
Has</I>
<BR><I>anyone else tried this?</I><I></I>

<P><I>Thanks for any advice you may have,</I>
<BR><I>Eowyn Amberdrake, Caid&nbsp; (Melinda Sherbring, Los Angeles)</I></BLOCKQUOTE>
</HTML>

- --------------282312F0A65F34BC9AC49270--