HNW - Free style blackwork

Chris d'Aquino acacia63 at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 00:09:14 PDT 1999

Greetings

>From what I have seen, the filling stitches are still counted.  That is
>what many of the small overall patterns are for.  But there is less
>counting needed as the outline tells you where to stop.

I agree that there are quite a few examples of filling with counted
blackwork but alot is not.

There are a any number of examples where there is no filling at all and
don't forget the other common filler - speckling stitch (which is a lot of
small almost random stitches) which gives the figures an almost 3D effect.
The difficulty is that they use a stylised form of shading and not the
natural dimentional shading that we are used to.  It takes a bit of practice
to shade in their manner and not ours (trust me after 5 attempts I am still
practicing).

Acacia d'Navarre
St Florians, Lochac, West Kingdom