HNW - Re: HNW - Re: HNW - Re: HNW - Or Nué

Donna Kenton kenton at neaccess.net
Tue Sep 7 09:56:39 PDT 1999

At 11:51 AM 9/7/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>At 11:58 AM 9/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>>I'm working on my first piece of or nue embroidery --
>
>I hope you all will forgive what is probably an impossibly naive
>question, but...

It's a perfectly fine question.

>What defines Or Nue, as opposed to simply some other form of
>decorative needlework using gold?

Or Nué means "shaded gold."  It's a form of couching.

In ordinary couching, the design feature is the cord laid on top of the
fabric.  The couching thread -- a separate thread which comes up from the
bottom, secures the cord, and goes back through the fabric -- is not
supposed to be seen.

In Or Nué, both the gold cord laid on top, *and* the couching thread create
the design.  Different color threads are used to couch the cord, and the
color of the thread, as well as how close the stitches are, are what's used
to create the design.

Donna