HNW - Other embroidered text

Kim Salazar kbsalazar at mediaone.net
Wed Sep 8 13:34:47 PDT 1999

I offer this up a dimly remembered example of a page of dense text in
stitching, and ask if anyone else has seen this particular illustration.

In my notes I had a photocopy of a late period (late 1500s/early 1600s)
counted thread work.  It was a page of Hebrew text.  The text covered the
cloth almost completely, and was bordered by a narrow geometric Greek Key
style interlace also in counted work.  A very simple needle lace picot
edging finished the work.  It looked to have been executed in cross stitch
(perhaps long-armed cross stitch) on linen, but the picture was quite small
and difficult to make out in photocopy.  I believe the Hebrew was text from
a Haggadah, the prayerbook for the Passover seder.

Someone gave this single sheet to me years ago for my "collection" -
without any citation of which book it was from. (Perhaps it came from
Duchess Melisande, but my memory fades...)  In any case, I've mislaid it
and would love to replace it, with full annotation.  If you know of this
page, I'd greatly appreciate any leads you can offer.

And if anyone is interested, I graphed out and stitched the Hebrew letters
from that work on my own sampler and would happily share a scan of my
work.  Please eMail me if you'd like the scan.  (Caveat:  Some of the
final-letter forms I redid, but I don't remember which ones they were).

Ianthe
Kim Salazar
kbsalazar at mediaone.net
ianthe at carolingia.org