HNW - Or Nue

MCCONNELL, Megan Megan.McCONNELL at suncorpmetway.com.au
Thu Sep 9 17:00:52 PDT 1999

I am finally catching up on my list reading (too much work - too little
leisure).

I am working on an Or Nue piece for our Baron and Baroness, and am finding
it very interesting! (I have had to break for 8 weeks - I had a wedding
handkerchief to do for a friend of mine - silk on a hanky in split,
detatched buttonhole and satin stitches, with embroidery on all 4 sides and
chrochted edging.  I must be mad!)

I have used a close-woven linen, and traced the design directly onto the
linen.  I then work from the bottom up (although I know a few people who
work from the top down), couching both the gold cord down and the colours as
I go, so that I am always working in sight of the pattern on the fabric.

I have used a gold couching thread that I bought through Mistress Myffanwy
in Adelaide and it is really good - nice thickness and flexibility.  It
costs $8.00 per roll.  I have done this one using 2 strands of DMC stranded
cotton - and won't do it again!  (live and learn).  I have found on the
portions of the pattern where the whole design is covered by colour, I am
getting a "bump" in the pattern - due to the thickness of the 2 strands of
thread.

Next time I will use 1 strand preferably of silk and see how I go.

I am taking photos of the piece in progress, and making notes for an article
I am going to write on working the piece (yes Bess - it's for the Company).

I must admit that I love doing goldwork and have decided to concentrate on
doing Metal Thread embroidery, and also Elizabethan styles (blackwork,
raised work, etc).

And for my next piece:  Or Nue with a difference- using silver cord instead
of gold as the background.

I am really glad that there are a lot of other people out their doing Or Nue
(or have done it). It's really worth having a go at - and is really easy.

Regards,
Megan McConnell
(known SCA:  Madilayn de Mer)

The contents of this message are the views of the Author and
do not necessarily reflect the views of SUNCORP METWAY LTD.